NEW UIF BILL
As of January 2017 a new UIF bill has been signed into law which will see improved benefits for employees. These benefits will include the following:
- increased UIF benefits from 238 to 365 days;
- allows employees to apply over 12 months instead of six;
- allows employees to apply for maternity leave benefits eight weeks before delivery and up to 12 moths after birth;
- sees a flat rate for maternity benefits (66% of a woman’s salary);
- lets women who have lost their child in the last trimester qualify for maternity benefits;
- grants people on learnerships to apply for benefits.